Saturday 29 May 2010

Day 29 - Central Line (Part Four)


So close to the end now, I can almost taste it. But, alas, not close enough to allow me any leeway in terms of days off, so to Epping today in the pouring rain, which persisted for the majority of the walk. At times it truly bucketed down, but my spirits were kept high by Laila's optimism and the pleasant company of Rodney McNicoll. To walk with me is madness in itself, but to do so in today's weather was true heroism/insanity.

Epping itself is nice, although Rodney and I were almost disappointed to discover it had a Subway, while doing its best to seem rural and idyllic. The long sodden walk to Theydon Bois saw us somehow manager to pass under/over/through the M25 without seeing it, but from then on the path became more straightforward. As with the other extremities of the underground system, the stations are miles and miles apart there, although at least it is largely miles of countryside and not industrial estate.

We pressed on hard despite the conditions, Rodney soaked through, myself having abandoned my glasses and Laila onto her second pair of ruined shoes. Why most of the roads deemed pavements of any type unthinkable is beyond me, but we finally arrived with some relief in Woodford, desperate to get home to hot showers and dry clothes. Two days to go, and one long stretch of track between me and the end, defying in all honesty my own expectation. Still keeping my fingers tightly crossed though until I can limp over the finish line.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment