Wednesday 5 May 2010

Day 8 - Metropolitan Line (Part Three) and Bakerloo Line


A double header for the blog, and a double header of tube lines!

Much to the chagrin of a Mr J. Caunt, no sooner had I completed one line than I began another, leaving the Met and Northern still unfinished. They'll get done... one day.

In any case, it was a long (and largely uneventful) walk today, albeit one that took in some more leafy areas. The first of the four North Westerly Met Line termini, Uxbridge, is not the most thrilling of places, and seems to contain not a single map. Having lost mine in a bar last night, I had hand drawn mine at 8am. Given the sketchy quality, it was frankly remarkable I didn't get more lost. After asking 2 or 3 people, all who helpfully gave different advice, a lovely old lady pointed my the right way and from then it was quite an easy walk. Mostly passing through leafy suburbia, some of it very nice indeed, before emerging in Harrow and the other end.

Having both time (which seem to evaporate quickly from this point) and energy (likewise) remaining, I grabbed a bus to Harrow and Wealdstone to start the Bakerloo line and ease my burden tomorrow considerably. I managed to make it to Wembley Central (getting very well acquainted with that stadium now), before hurling myself onto a tube and racing back into London for College. I was only 10 minutes late, which is remarkable given the aforesaid quality of my maps, but even more given the lethargic pace of the Bakerloo Line.

Back tomorrow to do the rest of the Line, from Wembley to Elephant and Castle. A long one, but with some lovely sights on the way. Must remember to vote first...

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment