Sunday 30 May 2010

Day 30 - Central Line (Part Five)


Another Sunday spent productively wandering around bits of London I may never see again. Today took me to West Ruislip, which I had seen twice before, as while only serving the Central Line it sits neatly on the Pic/Met Line path between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge.

While the tube stations were relatively close together, the layout of the roads meant that it took an age to walk between some, but the walks were relatively nice. The industrial estate at Greenford wasn't the most thrilling place in London, but it DID have a Hovis factory which smelled wonderful. And it was here that I picked up my walking companion for the day, Alex Chartres, who took time out of his doubtlessly busy day to accompany me for a couple of hours. And very good company he was too.

Indeed, it was the courage of his convictions that saw us save a couple of miles by walking through a very nice park in Perivale and along a canal path. Not only was it quicker, but much more scenic, and the last time I will see Regent's Canal which has criss-crossed my path frequently.

Spurred on, we made good time by ignoring Google maps further and cutting more pointless meanderings around North Acton. Quote of the day however came from the Tube Attendant at Hanger Lane. Having told him I was walking to North Acton, and about to ask if it was possible to traverse Western Avenue, he sternly replied "It's too far." I was stunned by his response, and having told him I'd walked the vast majority of the underground network he relented, albeit grumpily, and told me the way to go. I'm sure he just wanted me to use the shiny, gleaming Central Line rather than risk damage to my feet, but still...

One more day to go. My aim is to start at Ealing Broadway at 12, and finish at Bank at 6, having stopped off for 'refreshments' along the way. Really excited to be finishing tomorrow, and I hope people are keen to meet up en route or for a drink at the end.

I hope I don't break my leg on the way to Tesco...

A

No comments:

Post a Comment